iClouDrive is the easiest way to use your otherwise unused iCloud storage space for syncing files between your Macs.
iCloud’s predecessor, MobileMe, had a feature called iDisk which allowed you to easily sync files between your Macs. For some strange reason, Apple killed this great feature when iCloud was released. iClouDrive brings this great feature back to your Macs, by creating a folder on your computer which is seamlessly synced using your iCloud account.
All files placed within this folder, no matter whether they’re documents, music, movies, or any other filetype are instantly beamed to your other Macs. Why bother paying for other storage services when you’ve got 5 GB of storage space for free, courtesy of
iClouDrive is a free app licensed under the Zibity Software Licence and is compatible with Lion (10.7.2 or later) and Mountain Lion. The most recent version of iClouDrive is version 1.18, released on 21 April 2013. Read the release notes to learn what’s new in this version.
How to use iClouDrive
iClouDrive is very easy to use. Once you’ve downloaded it, run the app, and a folder will be created in your Home folder. Anything you put into this folder will be magically synced to all of your other Macs on which you have enabled iClouDrive. These files will remain available to you even when your computer is offline!
If you want to create the iClouDrive folder in a location other than right inside your home folder, press and hold the option key (⌥) when pressing the “Enable iClouDrive” button.
How to disable iClouDrive
To disable iClouDrive, open Finder. Delete the contents of your iClouDrive folder (or else they will continue to take up space on your computer and your iCloud account), and then drag the iClouDrive folder to the trash. If you have set up iClouDrive on multiple computers, you will need to do this on all of them to fully disable iClouDrive.
Unfortunately, due to Apple’s strict rules on the use of iCloud, it is not likely that an iOS version of iClouDrive will be available in the foreseeable future.
- Version 1.18 was released on 21 April 2013: Fixes a bug where the English localisation could not be accessed.
- Version 1.17 was released on 20 April 2013: Adds German localisation (thanks to Philip Heinser)
- Version 1.16 was released on 4 December 2012: Fixes a bug which prevented iClouDrive’s use on a small sub-set of systems where the user’s drive name contained a space.
- Version 1.15 was released on 3 December 2012: Fixes bug which prevented iClouDrive’s use on systems where the user’s home folder was not on the boot drive, re-enables the ability to place the iClouDrive folder in a custom location by holding the option key (⌥) when pressing the “Enable iClouDrive button”.
- Version 1.14 was released on 2 December 2012: Adds French and Spanish localizations. Thanks to Fernando Sánchez for the Spanish. Bug fixes.
- Version 1.13 was released on 25 November 2012: Adds a cool custom folder icon to the iClouDrive folder (see here for more info), and makes some error messages more informative.
- Version 1.12 was released on 20 November 2012: Fixes bugs.
- Version 1.11 was released on 15 November 2012: Fixes a big which prevented a dialog from being shown.
- Version 1.1 was released on 14 November 2012: Fixes a bug which prevented a small sub-set of users from setting up iClouDrive, streamlines dialogs.
- Version 1.0 was released on 10 November 2012: Initial release.